Monday, November 16, 2009

Smelling the Flowers



Most people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run a race to see what I'm made of. To see if I can do it. To test my limits. But this time was different.

It started out the same as my other races have. I had a time to beat, a personal record to break. So I started strong, too strong. I tried to keep up with the others in my running group. I was struggling, my eyes focused on thier feet as they pounded the pavement. Slowly I got farther behind. I was pissed at myself for not being able to stay at their pace. I wasn't enjoying myself.

As we reached mile 10, I stumbled and finally looked up from the black asphalt that had held my focus for so long. That's when I realized what I had been doing. I told my wonderfully patient pace-setter to go on ahead and I took the time look around.

That's when I remembered why I enjoy running so much. Yes it's something I can do by myself, under my own power, to push my limits. But running is also my escape. It's my time to take my focus away from work, away from my responsibilities, and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature.



As I looked up from the black hole I was running through, I saw what I had been missing the last 10 miles and almost cried. I was missing the greatest part of this run, the whole reason people come to run here in the first place. So I took a deep breath and slowed my pace. And the weight was lifted and I started to enjoy myself again. I looked around at the other runners and took in their looks of happiness, pain, joy, and exaustion. I let the feeling of community, of being part of something bigger than myself, wash over me.

This is why I run. This is why I train. This is why I push myself. Not for some PR or metal or prize. Not for the praise or admiration of anyone else. I run to feel connected. Connected to myself, to others, to nature, to the world. I run to feel alive.

1 comment:

JO said...

i like this one. i read it twice... so far. :)

Post a Comment