Friday, December 9, 2011

A Running Tale

My new years resolution 3 years ago (2009) was to start a new and inexpensive workout routine. One that would be fun and that I could stick with. I decided to take up running and joined a Jeff Galloway training group in San Jose. In July 2009 I ran my first real race, the San Francisco Half Marathon. Over the next year I completed 3 more half marathons in preparation for my ultimate goal of completing a full marathon. In May 2010, I accomplished just that, completing the Colorado Marathon in my home town of Ft. Collins, Colorado. I had gone from someone who couldn't run 1 mile to running 26.2 in a little over a year.

After the marathon I felt empowered, accomplished, blessed, and more than a little burnt out. I had given up my Saturdays for months in order to complete my training runs. I was tired of getting up early to complete runs before heading to work. So I decided I deserved a break. A few weeks off to rest and re-juvenate.

A few weeks went by, then a few months. And here I am, over a year from my last run (and a few pounds heavier to boot). But thankfully, that's not the end of this little running tale...

What better way to start the last year of my life (2012 is the end of the world you know), than to get back on the bandwagon and start running again?

And so I have signed up for a race. I will get to re-visit my marathon, but on half the scale. May 16, 2012: Colorado Half Marathon. Here I come.

Oh and did I mention that my BFF Jenna is running it with me. We have a deal though. She said she would run it with me, but only if I trained for a PR. I seriously have the best, most motivational people supporting me! So a PR it is otherwise it's a butt kicking. A Jenna butt kicking. Which, if you know her, is terrifying. Better get training, and quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment